Acne can be a nightmare for most people. Acne can show up on the face, back, chest and other parts of the body. There are many remedies to clearing acne off your skin but one of the most effective of them all has proven to be coconut oil.
Acne can be caused by a block in the pores by too much oil on the skin so it is funny when an oil can be one of its best remedies. Coconut oil has an abundance of properties that helps it fight the germs that might cause this acne on our skin. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, caprylic acid, capric acid, vitamin E and healthy fats.
Lauric acid makes up 50% of the constituents in coconut oil. Lauric acid has very strong antimicrobial properties that can be used to combat various bacterial infections.
Caprylic acid makes up 5% to 10% of coconut oil. Caprylic acid has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral substances in them that helps fight acne and also balances the body’s pH.
Capric Acid makes up 4% to 8% of coconut oil and it also has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant agent that helps to neutralize the free radicals that damages skin collagen. Coconut oil contains vitamin E and also helps to fight acne on the skin.
All these constituents in coconut oil contribute to how coconut oil helps acne.
Coconut oil clears off acne scars
Acne gives scars and that is another cause of worry for most people. These scars usually result from dark heads. Coconut oil makes this scars disappear and clears the spots leaving the skin smooth and soft.
How to wash your face with coconut oil
Using coconut oil to clear off acne on the skin cannot be effective if it is not properly applied. There are steps to take when applying coconut oil on the skin to make acne disappear.
- Wash your face with soap and clean water. It is important to wash your face before applying coconut oil to your face. Washing your face helps clear off the germs and bacteria on the face. More importantly, it helps to wash off dirt on the face so as to give way for the coconut oil
- Steam your face so as to open up the pores on your face. Acne results from blockage of the pores on the face. Boil water till it starts to steam, pour the water into a bowl. Drape a towel over your head and put your face in the steam
- After steaming your face, clean it up and slowly apply coconut oil on your face. Make sure you massage the coconut oil into your face properly to get effective results
- Dip a small towel into warm water and use it to clean your face so as to remove excess oil from your face. If after cleaning it, there is still excess oil on your then wash your face with warm water and soap
- Ensure to repeat these steps daily to achieve great results on your face
How to use coconut oil on other parts of the body
Coconut oil is not only effective for face acne, it is also effective for acne that may appear on other parts of the body.
- Wash the area with soap and warm water. This helps to wash out every dirt that might be lingering in that area thereby preventing the coconut oil from working effectively. Other parts of the area might not need to be steamed like the face so washing with soap and warm water is enough to prepare that part of the body for the application of coconut oil
- Put some of the oil on your palm and apply on the affected area
- Massage the oil into the area carefully, making sure the oil covers every area you want it to
- Leave it on the area for a few hours and then wash off
- Make sure you do not put too much oil on the area so as to avoid excess oil clogging the pores
- Do this daily to ensure good results
The benefits of coconut oil discovered in recent times cannot be overlooked. It is very effective to clear acne on the face and every part of the skin leaving your skin smooth and fresh.